Boxing Clever

DSC_0401

Wednesday 18th May 2016

I know, I know; no post since August last year. I went to a school reunion dinner last weekend and all my old school mates were moaning about the paucity of information. So here is a quick update……

Building slowed a bit in the New Year. I started a new part time job after my “sabbatical”, 4 afternoons a week should give me enough pocket money to postpone cashing in the pension for a couple of years. Also my mum died in January; sorting out the estate eats into the build time.

I’m working on the engine/battery boxes at the moment. On the face of it you would think that it is a quick job. Don’t you believe it! To get the requisite ply thickness you have to glue stock together. The task is not helped by the discovery that the plans have errors. I also misread the plans and made them too short, and being a mean bugger I had to scarf a section in, rather than cut them out properly. Added to this each box is the mirror image of the other, with the topsides having a camber to mimic the camber of the crossbeams. I’ve also adapted the lids to make two sun loungers…. all in all it has led to much head scratching and cursing. Still close to finishing now and then I’ll turn my thoughts to making the rudders (which are to be adapted by adding a trim tab for the self-steering).

I’ll promise to increase the frequency of the posts. Furthermore I may join Facebook and give Kira her own page (another idea from old school friends). Watch this space!

 

Well Done!

Thursday 20th August 2015

image

Lately I have been turning my attention to the engine wells/boxes. The plans show auxillary power from two, 10HP outboard motors mounted on cradles under the deck platform. Simplicity! Not only are there no holes in the hulls, but they can be lifted out of the water, so reducing unnecessary drag. In theory it will be possible to turn the boat within it’s own length. In addition,  if one engine goes kaputt,  you have another to spare. Furthermore, if you experience a breakdown there will always be someone in far off anchorages with the nouse to effect a repair.

As I progress with the build the plans become less and less clear! I guess JWD feels that if you have got this far you don’t need help. It took a bit of head scratching to work out what is to be done. The engines are mounted on bespoke wells which are suspended beneath the engine boxes with stainless steel rods. The engine boxes (housing fuel tanks and batteries) in turn, are slung between the beams with steel rods. The fact that the engine boxes are not square (the outer side is 15mm shorter than the inner side) confused me for a while, but I think I have it now.

The whole assembly is made from 12mm ply doubled up to make 24mm. In short, there is a lot of fiddling around; a task I thought could have been completed in a weekend, has taken much longer.

The top picture shows  the brackets which will support the engine wells under the engine boxes. I was concerned that the 12mm hole might invite ingress of water, so I drilled a 20mm hole, filled it with epoxy, then drilled the correct-sized hole through the middle. Below are a couple of close ups.

image

image