On The Right Track

image

Saturday 8 August 2015

This week Janine and I have been busy sticking various bits of hardwood onto the sides of the hull. I perhaps spend a morning shaping wood and then spend the afternoon setting up a production line of applying neat epoxy with a brush, then smearing said piece with peanut butter consistency thickened epoxy, screwing it to the hull, scraping off the excess with a doctor’s tongue depressor to leave a small fillet, and finally a clean up with paper soaked in methylated spirit.

I have also turned my attention to ways of securing the hatches. The plans show a sliding assembly running on tracks, with shock cord securing a watertight seal. Other builders have disregarded this design and opted for a hinge that allows the hatch to be slid out of the way across an aluminium pole; a neat solution, and a solution I was going to adopt until a last minute change of mind. I am going to stick to the plans

image

 

My main reason for the change is that a hinged hatch is either fully closed or fully open; a sliding hatch can be partially opened to control ventilation better. You can also slide it shut from inside without having to get onto the deck. I am, however, going to use a hinge for the two aft deck hatches as the tracks will probably foul the self steering paraphernalia, and they quite neatly hinge back and rest on the coach roof.

The other problem is that my tracking (dinghy mainsheet traveller) is unbendable extruded aluminium and the coach roof and decks are curved. It was fun to make the tracking supports from scrap oak. They look so nice it will be a shame to paint them, perhaps I will just oil them.

I’m Back!

imageI am going to have to get into a routine again. The discipline of sitting down at the end of the day and writing about boatbuilding. Janine is doing her embroidery while watching TV and I have a glass of wine and an ipad.

I have various boat tasks on the go. If it is not too hot and its dry, I’ll get on and do outside jobs. If its raining I’m inside doing other stuff. I actually find that warm sunny weather is the most challenging weather of all. If you mix more than one pump of epoxy it is curing before you can use it.

So this week I have cut a hole in the aft deck of the port hull. This will become a large locker. It is the first hatch and coaming set I have made that isn’t square– I believe it is technically an isosceles trapezium.. In fact there isn’t a right angle to be seen so every cut you have to transfer the angle from the boat to the table saw. It is enjoyable work when it goes well; miserable when you cock things up. Anyway it is all glassed now and will be fitted next week after a final sanding.

image

I also completed the hardwood pads which will support the lashing strake. I’ve made over 100 of them, and having fitted half of them yesterday, I’ve done a few too many. I searched Neil’s site to see how many he used (94) and I think I’ll use 84. Perhaps Gleda is longer than Kira.

imageI’ve also turned my attention to the rudders. They are all cut out and I’ve scarfed the joints, being mindful not to join them back to front like Cat Named Dog. My sympathies as it is so easily done.
image