Late May 2009
Eager to get going, I toddled off to my local Wickes’ DIY store and bought 10 sheets of 18mm tongue and groove roofing boards. We then spent a hot sunny afternoon gluing them all together with my epoxy. We got into a rhythm and it was all quite fun! Took care to get everything straight and in alignment. Managed to get epoxy on everything and had no solvent for the clean up. The following day the brush was as hard as iron. Still at least I felt I was doing something.
This will become my lofting board. I have read several books on this mysterious art, and still can’t get my head around it. Thankfully, there isn’t a great deal of lofting to be done on this build, and the plans give a step by step idiots guide. Basically you have to transfer the boat lines as drawn to scale on the plans, and draw them out full size on the building floor. My dad thinks it should be painted white but I think it should be OK.
A sizeable order to Robbin’s Timber has been placed, and payment made electronically. The order should keep me going for a year or more. Although its a tidy sum, I have been putting aside £400 a month into a boat building savings account for about 2 years, so I have budgeted for this moment, and it doesn’t feel too painful.